The Heart of NSW encompasses the local government area of the Lachlan Shire and is well known for its natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals and relaxed bush lifestyle. Lachlan Shire is located in the Central West of New South Wales; 200km west of Orange, 100km west of Parkes, 220km south west of Dubbo and 228km north east of the Griffith. The Lachlan Shire is located in the Wiradjuri nation of the eastern-central area of NSW. The Wiradjuri nation shares a common language and bond through the Lachlan, Murrumbidgee and Macquarie rivers.
Lachlan Shire Council’s vision for the future is to be a progressive, vibrant and prosperous community where families come to stay and enjoy a relaxed, healthy way of life and community spirit.
About the Role
The Rates Officer is a key member of Council’s Finance team delivering effective revenue and rates processing services and quality customer service. This position is responsible for all aspects of rating, water billing and debt recovery.
Some of the Responsibilities for this role are:
- Responsible for annual levy and accounting for rates, water billing and debtors recovery and debt collection
- Ensure accurate completion of relevant statutory returns
- Ensure property transfers and S603 certificates are processed correctly
- Process and reconcile general revaluations and supplementary land valuations
- Ensure water billing is conducted quarterly
- Ensure that Council meets its obligations in regards to pensioners claims and rebates
- Liaise with Council’s GIS Officer to ensure the property system is maintained
- Prepare rating, water billing and debt recovery reports for management
- Communicate effectively with customers within the limits of the employee’s skill, competence and training
To be successful you will need to have:
- Local Government rating experience
- Relevant practical experience in bookkeeping/accounting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated computer skills, with a strong background in Excel and business applications
- Ability to apply time management and forward-planning skills to achieve deadlines
- Ability to interpret and apply legislative requirements
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of EEO and WHS requirements
This position is a Grade 10 paying $2418.36 - $2720.65 per fortnight under the Local Government (State) Award.
Applications close 4.30pm Tuesday 17 October 2017.
To view and download the require application documents, please click on the links below:
Contact: Chief Financial Officer - John Chapman – 02 6895 1900
Lachlan Shire Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer who provides a smoke-free work environment.
How To Apply
Please Note: Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later. You must use your email address, and not one used previously by another person who has applied for a position with Council.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields.
Have your Resume document ready to go.
Fill out all questions below. Click "Next". You will then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click "Next".
Please ensure that any file names that you attach do not include symbols or punctuation.
Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click "Confirm" to submit your application.
As part of the recruitment process, Lachlan Shire Council will be collecting information about you. This information is private information for the purposes of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act. This information will be included in the recruitment file, and accessed by Council Records Staff and members of the Recruitment Selection Panel. Applicants may request their information be returned to them at the conclusion of the recruitment process